With employers expecting more from their staff, while also promoting work-life balance and healthy living – it can come across as a conflicting message; “Take your time, but hurry up and do it now!”
This is an interesting dilemma for employers to ensure the activities of Mental Health Awareness Week don’t simply become a box ticking exercise.
Lost momentum and a return to ‘business as usual’ will, over time erode employee engagement, sense of value and productivity levels.
Analysis of workplace health interventions over the last 4 years have shown that those employees who consistently participated in programmes designed to support physical and mental well-being, tended to be healthier and more productive.
With our team growing and an ever-busy events schedule we’re making sure our staff have the best opportunity to stay happy and healthy. Here’s examples of a few of simple perks we’ve implemented and are keen to maintain and develop within our company culture:
• Boundaries –We identified and set 3 personal boundaries to include one non-negotiable for each team member. Some examples were: meetings run to time, diarised focus time, lunch/break time protected, attend sports clubs on set evenings. In a busy events business by setting and communicating these boundaries we are striving to allow team members to manage their time, meet personal commitments and support their colleagues to do the same whilst delivering successful events. We will let you know how we get on!
• Funky Friday – Over the summer we’re allocating a 2pm finish for our staff as an extra bit of time off. We each get it once a month and work around the events schedule – Yay!
• Workspace Art Allowance – Make your desk wall space your own – personalise your wall space – be inspired. Ross’ Take That poster always raises a smile.
• Bring a pet to Work – It helps with managing per care and has a positive impact on colleagues who love a cuddle with the various 4-legged paw-pals who come to visit.
• Weekly Wellness – provision of healthy office snacks and refreshments – No Mike, crisps and beers don’t come under healthy snacks!
• Seasonal Wellness – a wellness gift across the seasons – wellness voucher: treatment/product, flowers, health education or a fitness related perk.
• Mental Health First Aid – we want our full-time and event team to feel like they can talk to someone and how we can all support any colleagues working through their own mental health journey.
Our Client Programmes
We fully support our clients that strive to add the value in providing their people with the insight and skills to self-manage their well-being and performance, and we are keen to work with and learn from these programmes and share the benefits.
Here are a selection of well-being options for inspiration on how to ensure your event supports your wider healthy workforce goals. Mindfulness, yoga/pilates and nutrition classes are very popular, and there are many ways to tailor these into your event – on a rotational basis for the entire group or delegates select in advance what sessions they would like to attend.
Allow your guests to enjoy a 15 min on site chair massage focusing on eliminating tension in the neck, shoulders and upper back. Massage therapists would be available for guests to pre-book their appointment slot to then enjoy at some point during the conference.
The benefits of engaging with creative activities are widespread and include generating positive emotions, reducing depressive symptoms and anxiety, plus having fun!
Our workshops can focus on any of the following: Calligraphy, Caricature, Painting, Drawing, Upcycling
Hear from the Expert
Our experts in these different fields will lead your guests through a background in the subject matter providing them with a greater understanding of the subject and practical tips that are easy to implement and share with others. All will include the opportunity for Q&A.
Subjects can include: Sleep workshop, Nutrition, Finance, Managing anxious thoughts, Mind & breath.
This session can be paired with a nutrition workshop or as a stand-alone drop-in activity. Delegates are provided with a selection of fruit to choose from before hopping on the bike to mix their smoothie using only pedal power!
A Sound bath is a deeply immersive, full body, listening experience that intentionally uses sound to invite gentle yet powerful, therapeutic and restorative processes to nurture your mind and body. The experience begins with each person lying down, or seated in a comfortable position with a blanket and a gorgeous heated eye mask. After a short guided meditation, the remainder of the experience is filled with different sounds and frequencies being introduced in succession. The sounds introduced are an invitation to a deeper state of consciousness, an opportunity to unplug and gain perspective on what’s going on within you. The goal of the experience is to invite deep rest, relaxation and self-discovery.
It is proven that interacting with animals has a positive effect on mental health in humans. Our Puppy Therapy sessions provide your delegates with an allocated a session to play with our pups, guaranteed to leave them in a happier more relaxed state. Consider combing this with a mental health educational session such as mental health awareness, men’s mental health, coping with change, avoiding burnout and talking menopause.
Let’s have a chat…
We’d love to hear from you and talk through ways to bring your well-being objectives to life in your next event, or even like to brainstorm and share any thoughts on this article. Call one of our team today on 0131 333 0066 or email email@example.com